Taking Care of Your Winter Skin
The brisk winter months are upon us, and we have the inside scoop on winter skin!
Let’s start with the basics.It can cause your skin to be dehydrated, itchy, and even flaky! The cold outdoor temperatures and dry indoor heat can quickly deplete moisture, as well as aggravate pre-existing skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
Now, let’s talk about what you can do to minimize dryness and irritation this time of year. The first thing to remember is that your skin needs extra care and attention. This means incorporating formulas with hydrating, moisturizing, and nourishing ingredients into your skin care routine.
Some of the best ingredients to use on your winter skin are called emollients. Emollients are agents that help produce healthy skin by strengthening your skin’s barrier. They aid in maintaining your skin’s moisture so you can feel comfortable and confident in your skin all season long! Some popular emollients are Stearic Acid and Allantoin. Both can be found in our Cell Renewal Cream: Ultra-Hydrating & Revitalizing Cream and Valnel: Daytime Protection & Moisturizing Lotion.
You should also avoid over-exfoliating your winter skin, as this can cause further dryness and irritation. If you incorporated an exfoliant into your skin care routine during the summer, it may be a good idea to skip that step in the winter.
You should also consider your cleanser. Since your skin can become more sensitive in the winter, replacing your cleanser with one that is more gentle will go a long way to addressing winter skin. Our favorite cleanser for this time of year is Dermafluide: Cleansing Milk & Makeup Remover. It is specially formulated with Lavender, Linden, and Marshmallow extracts to help reduce and soothe irritation that’s caused by harsh environmental conditions.
You can also make choices in your daily life that impact your skin’s health. For example, you can invest in a humidifier, which can help reverse the effects of that dry air coming from your radiator or heater.
Dehydrated skin also tends to have more wrinkles, so drinking water will help keep your skin looking plump. Drink plenty of water to help maintain your skin’s hydration when it’s exposed to harsh environmental conditions. This not only keeps you hydrated but also clears your skin of toxins that can cause blackheads!
If you haven’t yet nailed down your winter skin care routine – we can help! Our resident CV estheticians have outlined a skin care routine that will help you care for your skin all winter long.
The Christine Valmy Winter Skin Care Routine:
- Neem Purifying Cleanser: Daily Exfoliating & Cleansing Cream – Wet your face and gently massage a small amount over the face for 30 seconds using small, circular movements with fingertips. Gently rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Vitamin C Serum: Antioxidant Revitalizing Formula – Shake gently. Using your fingertips, apply 2-3 pumps all over the face with light tapping motions. Lightly press the serum on the face to gently massage it in. Make sure you avoid rubbing or pulling at the skin!
- Valnel: Daytime Protection & Moisturizing Lotion – Apply 1-3 pumps over face, neck, and lips. In very cold weather or before air travel apply 2-3 coats generously.
- Always remember to include an SPF in your routine! You may not get a sunburn, but UV rays and free radicals can still damage your skin. Make sure your go-to sunscreen has a minimum of SPF of 30 for adequate protection.
- Dermafluide: Cleansing Milk & Makeup Remover – Wet cotton pads or a washcloth and squeeze to remove excess water. Apply 1-2 pumps (or as much as needed) to the cotton and gently pass over the face with upward motions until the cotton looks clean.
- 5.5 pH Toner – Apply a few drops to a clean cotton pad and pass gently over the face with upward movements until the cotton looks clean. Make sure to avoid the eye area. Rinse your face with warm water.
- Vita Repair: Skin Replenishing Serum – Using your fingertips, apply 2-3 pumps all over the face with light tapping and upward movements. Focus this product on the cheeks and drier areas.
- Cell Renewal Cream: Ultra-Hydrating & Revitalizing Cream – Apply a small amount to your entire face and on the neck. Gently massage the product into the skin using upward movements.
Specialty Care Routine – Once a week at night.
- After following steps 1 and 2 in your nighttime routine, apply a thin layer of Cell Refresh: Gentle Exfoliating Lotion all over the face. Leave the product on the skin for 1-5 minutes, depending on your skin’s sensitivity. Gently remove with dampened cotton pads or thoroughly rinse with warm water.
- Apply a thin layer of Cellular Mask: Super-Hydrating Mask all over the face and wait 20 minutes. Gently remove with dampened cotton pads.
- Follow steps 3 and 4 in your nighttime routine.
- For an Overnight Treatment, apply a thin layer of Cellular Mask: Super-Hydrating Mask and gently massage the product into the skin using light upward movements until fully absorbed. In the morning, cleanse the skin following your morning routine as usual.
Now that you’re prepared for the harsh winter months ahead, say goodbye with itchy winter skin and hello to long-lasting comfort and confidence!
You can reach out to one of our estheticians on staff by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for product recommendations personalized to your skin concerns and conditions!