Alumni Spotlight: Tomás Glenn, Lead Face Therapist at Chillhouse
Alumni Spotlight on Esthetics grad, Tomás Glenn! After working a corporate job, Tomás decided he wanted a more meaningful career that allowed him to help others, so he embraced his long-time passion: skin care! Tomás discusses the importance of being authentic and taking care of yourself as a new professional.
- What specialty(s) did you study during your time at CV? I studied Esthetics at the Manhattan campus and have since taken several continuing education courses through Christine Valmy, including chemical peels and lash extensions.
- What year did you graduate? I graduated from the Esthetics program at Christine Valmy in 2018.
- What are you doing now? I am currently the Lead Face Therapist at Chillhouse, a super cool, super fun, and modern destination spa for self-care and wellness located in Manhattan’s Soho neighborhood! I also partner with brands for content and feedback.
- What was your journey like to get to your current role? I don’t think we have enough time to fully dive into the journey, lol! But for me, I’ve been into skincare since I was a teen. However, the initial catalyst to embark on a professional career in Esthetics was pure frustration with my time in the corporate world. I wanted to explore something more meaningful, something where I could help others while also building a career that provided me a sense of freedom and ownership over my future. I randomly applied to work at Chillhouse, met with management and Founder Cyndi Ramirez-Fulton where I performed a demo that she loved, we clicked and I was hired as a Face Therapist! Then I simply worked long hours, multiple clients a day until I was promoted! Not glamorous at first but that was it – I had to work! Then eventually I started getting rebooks, I landed partnerships with brands including Esteè Lauder, Erno Laszlo, Rosebud CBD, and a few press features in The Klog, Martha Stewart, and Manrepeller (which has since closed) to name a few.
- What was your favorite part about your time as a CV student? For me, it was the people. I toured the school twice before committing because energy is way more important to me than anything. The choice needed to feel right. From my classmates to the esteemed faculty and staff, it was a pleasure attending classes and learning from the first and best Esthetics Institution, and I toured them all!
- What is something you learned during your time at CV that has stuck with you today? Ms. Brenda and Ms. Liz both reinforced what my parents and elders always taught me. Be intentional with your doings. When there’s intent, the reward will come. Show up, operate with intention, and you’ll receive the results you seek. That’s the magic secret and I can’t stress it enough!
- Do you have any advice for someone who is considering a beauty education? Absolutely, just go for it and be intentional in every sense without being rigid. Never neglect self-care during your journey of learning and servicing others. There is a direct connection between how you care for yourself and how you show up for others to educate and inspire them to do the same. I give my clients what I expect to receive and that makes all the difference on your hardest days. It gives you that push to finish strong.
- Do you have any wise words for students who are about to graduate and look for their first professional job in the industry? Show up as your authentic self when you start applying and interviewing or even if you’re starting your own business. Any employer worth working with long-term will value your authenticity and find a way to leverage that for mutual benefit. There’s nothing worse than presenting a false representation of yourself to land a role or secure clients that aren’t aligned with your highest self. It’s not worth it, people see right through it, and clients will go to someone else they actually connect with.
- What CV product is always in your inventory or on your shelf? Why? Ahhh I have to choose two! I love the Valissima Nourishing Night Cream and The Valessence 100 Firming & Anti Wrinkle Cream. I remember getting a sample of Valessence in school and telling Ms. Liz this stuff really works! It’s priced on the higher end but it delivers and I like results!
Our ultimate goal is to provide our students with a strong foundation upon which to grow a flourishing career. Marina Valmy, our leader, calls this a “root system,” and it’s why our success as educators is embodied by the successes of our alumni. To celebrate this, we feature the achievements of our fabulous graduates in our Alumni Spotlight series. Each Spotlight showcases an interview with a Christine Valmy graduate about their educational and professional journeys.
As part of our educational philosophy, we aim to provide thought leadership on topics relevant to industry professionals and those with a passion for beauty. Click here to visit our Educated Insights homepage to learn trends, tutorials, industry news, and tips for at-home care and spa treatments.