Alumni Spotlight: Shanae Davis, Owner of Cotton Candi Colors Nail Spa
Alumni Spotlight on Nail Specialty alum, Shanae Davis! Shanae shares how she enrolled in CV to be able to provide an exceptional life for her daughter. By the end of her course, she learned new skills and lifelong lessons, and ultimately, found her passion!
- What specialty(s) did you study during your time at CV? During my time at CV, I studied Nail Specialty.
- What year did you graduate? I graduated in 2017.
- What are you doing now? I currently own and operate a full-service nail salon located in Crown Heights, Brooklyn.
- What was your journey like to get to your current role? When I decided to go to nail school, I was working a full-time and part-time job, in college, and my daughter was still a toddler. I can honestly say that it was a long, hard road. My motivation for going to school was wanting to be able to provide an exceptional life for my daughter. I wanted to be able to give her anything she desired, and still have the means to pay my bills and keep my head above water. Learning an extra skill could possibly provide a way for me to make extra money in my leisure time. I never imagined that it would become my passion and I’d grow to love the craft as much as I do!
- What was your favorite part about your time as a CV student? My favorite part about my time at CV, other than learning the ins and outs about nails, was all of the amazing connections I was able to make with my classmates. I especially formed an amazing relationship with my course instructor Ms. Betsy! She’s truly a gem and a positive figure in my life. I can call and connect with her to this day about anything – whether it be about business, nails, or for a listening ear. People like Ms. Betsy are rare, and I thank her for pushing me to do my very best during my course.
- What is something you learned during your time at CV that has stuck with you today? Professionalism and hard work are two takeaways that I learned at CV and continue to use in my daily life, especially in my business. CV shows an exceptional example of what a successful business should look like.
- Do you have any advice for someone who is considering a beauty education? The advice I’d give someone who’s considering a beauty education is to give it your all, utilize your skills, and never become complacent or too distracted with life that you disregard your dreams.
- Do you have any wise words for students who are about to graduate and look for their first professional job in the industry? Don’t rush into a location simply because you’re excited and want to start practicing! Make sure it’s the right location and environment for you. You will do your best work when you are happy and love where you work. Also, after graduation, it may take a while to get licensed and find work. This is normally the time when many people fall off and stop using their training, I know because that was me. My best friend is the one who encouraged me to start practicing again a year after graduating. If this is what you want, give it your all, and don’t get distracted!
- What CV product is always in your inventory or on your shelf? Why? I loved using Exoval and Body Satin Lotion when I was training.
Our ultimate goal is to provide our students with a strong foundation upon which to grow a flourishing career. Marina Valmy, our leader, calls this a “root system,” and it’s why our success as educators is embodied by the successes of our alumni. To celebrate this, we feature the achievements of our fabulous graduates in our Alumni Spotlight series. Each Spotlight showcases an interview with a Christine Valmy graduate about their educational and professional journeys.
As part of our educational philosophy, we aim to provide thought leadership on topics relevant to industry professionals and those with a passion for beauty. Click here to visit our Educated Insights homepage to learn trends, tutorials, industry news, and tips for at-home care and spa treatments.