Alumni Spotlight: Emily Dann, Owner of About Face Essentials
Alumni Spotlight on Skin Care alum, Emily Dann! Read about how she knew she was ready to become a salon owner as well as her experience opening her skin care salon, About Face Essentials, in January! Emily also shares the lessons she learned at Christine Valmy that helped her prepare to be a beauty professional.
- What specialty(s) did you study during your time at CV? I was enrolled in the Skin Care course at Christine Valmy. I also took as many Continuing Education Seminars as I could while I was in school. The Lash Extension Certification is what I utilize the most today.
- What year did you graduate? I graduated in 2018.
- What are you doing now? This January I opened a skin care salon, About Face Essentials, in Lincoln Park, NJ. We do facials, waxing, makeup, eyebrows, lash lifts, and bridal services.
- What was your journey like to get to your current role? I worked at a number of salons to gain experience. I also took multiple Continuing Education Seminars over the years. I always knew I wanted to be a business owner, but did not rush into it. I took my time and knew when I was ready to take that big step!
- What was your favorite part about your time as a CV student? My favorite part about my time as a CV student was being on the senior floor. I was able to learn what it feels like to take real clients and to work as a team with the other students! As we were learning and gaining experience together, I was able to make professional connections and get an accurate preview of what salon life would be like.
- What is something you learned during your time at CV that has stuck with you today? Infection control and diseases/disorders are probably the most important things I have learned. These things have stuck with me the most. Opening a salon during the Coronavirus, I was confident and prepared to have a clean and safe environment for my staff and clients. Diseases/disorders are so important to understand, understanding complicated skin conditions and how to approach treating them can make a huge impact on someone’s life! I love helping people who come in and look to me and my staff to help them find a solution. That is my favorite part about the industry.
- Do you have any advice for someone who is considering a beauty education? My advice is to learn as much as possible! The industry is always changing and growing. You can provide a good living for yourself, as well as impact so many client’s lives if you are well educated and passionate about learning.
- Do you have any wise words for students who are about to graduate and look for their first professional job in the industry? Find a salon that cares about you and cares about educating you. Have healthy boundaries, and be genuine and caring about helping your clients.
- What CV product is always in your inventory or on your shelf? Why? I love Special Lotion #22! I put it on every day in the morning and it helps protect my skin while I wear a mask throughout the day.
Our ultimate goal is to provide our students with a strong foundation upon which to grow a flourishing career. Marina Valmy, our leader, calls this a “root system,” and it’s why our success as educators is embodied by the successes of our alumni. To celebrate this, we feature the achievements of our fabulous graduates in our Alumni Spotlight series. Each Spotlight showcases an interview with a Christine Valmy graduate about their educational and professional journeys.
As part of our educational philosophy, we aim to provide thought leadership on topics relevant to industry professionals and those with a passion for beauty. Click here to visit our Educated Insights homepage to learn trends, tutorials, industry news, and tips for at-home care and spa treatments.