Alumni Spotlight: Dasha Minina, Founder of Maxus Nails & Beautician List
Alumni spotlight on Nail Specialty Alum and Business Entrepreneur, Dasha Minina! She chose to put her education to work after receiving her license to launch two separate start-ups, Maxus Nails and the Beautician List. Learn how Dasha’s passion for improving the nail industry inspired her to build unique, thriving businesses and helped her become the entrepreneur she is today!
- What specialty(s) did you study during your time at CV? I studied Nail Specialty.
- What year did you graduate? 2012.
- What are you doing now? I founded Maxus Nails, a treatment focused product line. Maxus Nails aims to beautify the natural nail by offering non-toxic products that strengthen the nail while prolonging the life of a traditional manicure. I am also the founder of the Beautician List, an online platform that provides a unique way to discover validated licensed beauty professionals and allows industry professionals to be part of a lucrative online community.
- What was your journey like to get to your current role? An entrepreneur’s journey is filled with extreme ups and downs and full of self-doubt; success doesn’t happen overnight. My journey is no different. As a solopreneur, working on two separate startups is challenging. I had many failures, and if I can give any advice to anyone reading this – prepare yourself. Life gives you one curveball after another; stay focused on your goal, whatever it may be. One day you will look back and all the sacrifices and challenges will be worth it.
- What was your favorite part about your time as a CV student? I loved feeling part of a community and being with other like-minded individuals. There is so much excitement while being in school, as the future is bright and full of hope and possibilities. My favorite part, however, was learning about the industry and learning the craft. My teacher Ms. Betsey, whom I can now proudly say has become my friend, was an incredible teacher and mentor during my time at Christine Valmy. It was during Ms. Betsey’s class that I had the revelation that something in the industry needs to change, and I came up with the concept of the Beautician List.
- What is something you learned during your time at CV that has stuck with you today? The curriculum teaches about proper foot basin disinfection procedures and disposable tools in a salon. I was shocked at how different what I was learning was from my own experience as a consumer. I’d been genuinely ignorant to it, and when I learned the right approach to hygiene, I felt like the professional industry had let me down. My goal is to bridge the gap between the professional and the consumer. The current status quo must change, and I am elated to continue working towards a better future for our industry.
- Do you have any advice for someone who is considering a beauty education? Not all schools are created equal. I did my research and attended Christine Valmy because I wanted to receive a superb education. Without a doubt, it was the best decision I made. Make sure you attend a school that will teach you proper technique, will care about your future and provide employment opportunities.
- Do you have any wise words for students who are about to graduate and look for their first professional job in the industry? Do not lower your professional standards to match what others are doing. Continue raising the industry standard, and others will follow your lead. Be professional – show up on time, be courteous to others, and respect those that hired you. Care about your job, and your reputation and the rest will fall into place. The sky’s the limit.
- What CV product is always in your inventory or on your shelf? Why? Special Creme #11! I have sensitive and oily skin, and this product helps tremendously without overdrying it.
- What is your favorite beauty/skin care trend right now? Why? I love that the non-toxic movement is gaining momentum and that more consumers are paying attention to what they are using on their bodies. I hope it’s not just a trend but a movement that will continue to evolve.
Our ultimate goal is to provide our students with a strong foundation upon which to grow a flourishing career. Marina Valmy, our leader, calls this a “root system,” and it’s why our success as educators is embodied by the successes of our alumni. To celebrate this, we feature the achievements of our fabulous graduates in our Alumni Spotlight series. Each Spotlight showcases an interview with a Christine Valmy graduate about their educational and professional journeys.
As part of our educational philosophy, we aim to provide thought leadership on topics relevant to industry professionals and those with a passion for beauty. Click here to visit our Educated Insights homepage to learn trends, tutorials, industry news, and tips for at-home care and spa treatments.
Some of the links on this page refer to sources outside of our website. The responsibility for the content of linked URLs is solely that of the owners of the linked pages.